Tuesday, September 16, 2008

assume nothing, assume everything.

a few years ago i was at the train station in venice with a friend of mine. we were attempting to find the right/cheapest train to florence. after dealing with perhaps the most obstinate person i've ever encountered we both decided we had learned a valuable life lesson. you can't even assume that a train station attendant will be in any way helpful. thus, assume nothing.

feeling like we had arrived at a philosophical truism i proceeded to impart this wisdom on my then girlfriend upon my return home. then a funny thing happened. i couldn't seem to follow through on that. and the one who was there to correct me was the very ex whom i had shared this inspired wisdom with. turns out it's actually pretty hard to go through life without assuming things you shouldn't.

fast forward to last week. i had this notion e-bitched slapped into me by the same ex and it was like a light switch went off in my head. i couldn't believe that i could have neglected something that i felt so strongly about. either way it put my head in the right place and on the right track . it's kind of funny how round about this all is.

a wise man once told me that when you assume things you make an aardvark cry. now that i've been to the dark world of assumptions and come back to see the light, i couldn't agree more.

No comments: