Wednesday, July 23, 2008

patti boyd

i haven't written anything since shortly after i moved to england. my how things have changed.

i don't know what made tonight the night to break my writers fast but i think it has something to do with patti boyd.

a couples week ago, at the behest of my dad i read eric clapton's autobiography. something stood out to me amidst the enthralling story that is his life. the george harrison-patti boyd-eric clapton triangle is well documented but there was something about reading eric clapton describe the passion he had for this woman that really stirred me. it obviously resonated a lot more with me because of my current situation. i've recently had a long term relationship end and as is usually the case for me, i'm the one having trouble moving on while the former other half has made (or at least appears to have made in my observation) a seamless transition into life without me. i realize i'm getting real here, but...well, this is real and i figure if i'm at least cool to write about it then that says something. needless to say my mind is all over the place and reading a first hand account of such an intense relationship really hit me.

as it happened i was in oakville's central library picking up some books for something i was working on (which is in itself a funny twist of fate) and what should catch my eye? a patti boyd autobiography. so i absolutely devoured that...with my eyes. another story of passion. her account of the affair and ultimate marriage to eric clapton is more tempered than his. her passion was mainly for george.

either way, it's put me in a weird place. a lot of things have.

it's funny, just under three months ago i was in geneva by myself doing a lot of thinking about the upcoming move back to canada. i thought there would be some aspects of the transition that would be tough, but never in a million years did i anticipate the direction my life would take.

i'm going to go to bed while i'm still coherent.

No comments: